Picture This! Part 4
April 7, 2011
I have illustrated three books: A Paper Hug, Operation: Celebration and The Celiac Kid.
We talked about each of the books in turn and when we got to The Celiac Kid we spent awhile discussing Celiac Disease and how people live with it everyday. The kids had questions about what foods had gluten in them and whether it’s “catching.” Most of the classes wanted me to read all of the books, but since we only had 20-30 minutes it just wasn’t possible.
I also showed some of my current projects and other random sketches that I had in my note and sketch books.
Then I opened it up for questions, although, they were asking questions all the way through. Some of my favorite questions:
- How do you come up with the ideas for the pictures in the books?
- Can you teach me how to draw that good?
- How much money do you make?
- How do you print the cover?
- Did you draw all of the covers (as in every book we’ve sold)?
- Do you draw pictures of animals?
- Can you make me a t-shirt with that picture on it?
- Can I have that picture?
- Would you ever illustrate a book in a different art style?
All in all, it was a really fun and positive experience! It helped me see all that is involved in illustrating a book. It is a great career with lots of work but very rewarding!
If you’d like to see some of my other art projects, visit my website!